As I gaze out my kitchen window there are, literally, thousands of clovers dotting my lawn. This plant is so ubiquitous that we stop seeing it after a while, yet it is our constant companion.
I was surprised to learn that it’s not even native. Who’d have thunk it.
Red clover is not a native of the Americas but was naturalised from northern Europe. The red clover flowers at the end of the branched stems are considered to be the source of its medicinal properties and are usually dried for therapeutic use.
Red clover flower is small and 15-60 cm. in height. The Red clover flower is a dome-shaped flower cluster. The Red clover flowers are arranged at the terminal shoot. The flower heads are nested in 2-3 leaves. Each red clover flower head is between 1/2 -1 inch wide. Red clover flower has pink to red flower head, made up of many 100-125 or more small typical legume flowers.
Facts About Red clover
- Red clover flower plants are Perennial herbs, and sometimes biennial.
- Red Clover flower plant can grow upto 20 inches tall.
- Red clover is a legume that is a rich source of isoflavones.
- Red clover plant stems are erect or ascending.
- Red clover plant leaves are in the form of basal rosette with long-petioles.
- Red clover plant leaves are edible and nutritious.
- Red clover plant stems are strong, upright woody stems, high in fiber.
- Red clover plant lives for only 1-3 years.
- The leaflets of the Red clover has a light green, V-shaped smudge in the center.
- Root system in the Red clover flowering plant is well developed tap root which is drought resistant.
- Red clover flowering plant parts are said to retard progress of cancerous tumours before ulceration has taken place.
- Red clover flower is also used in skin problems, like psoriasis and upper respiratory tract problems.
- Red Clover seed germinate quickly in moist soil.